bbPress is a fully-integrated forum plugin for the popular WordPress web software. It provides forum functionality for over a few hundred thousand WordPress sites, and is most popular for powering the WordPress.com and WordPress.org support sections.
Google Summer of Code is a program in which Google sponsors exceptional college students to develop open source code under the guidance of mentoring open source projects. This year, bbPress is hoping to be a mentoring organisation.
If you know you want to propose a GSoC project around bbPress, but aren’t sure what you want to do, check out our Ideas list below. If you have your own idea for a project, include it in your application and describe it thoroughly. You are not limited to ideas from this list.
- March 18, 19:00 UTC: Mentoring organizations can begin submitting applications to Google.
- March 29, 19:00 UTC: Mentoring organization application deadline.
- April 1 – 5: Google program administrators review organization applications.
- April 8 19:00 UTC: List of accepted mentoring organizations published on the Google Summer of Code 2013 site.
- April 9 – 21: Would-be student participants discuss application ideas with mentoring organizations.
- April 22, 19:00 UTC: Student application period opens.
- May 3, 19:00 UTC: Student application deadline.
Quick Edit forums and topics on dashboard
Provide Quick Edit functionality for forums and topics.
Admin Bar Support
Add admin bar UI and improve code for marking a user as Spam.
Akismet admin UI
Finishing up the API for and building the bbPress/Akismet admin UI to display the spam history and Akismet results.
Bulk actions for forums
Provide Bulk Actions for forums, such as marking topics as closed/spam/etc.
Moderator control panels
Create a `/moderate` section for moderators to use without needing to visit the `wp-admin` area.
Direct login and register links to bbpress login or register page templates
Create direct login and register pages, and/or a sidebar Widget, for bbPress users to avoid sending them to `wp-login.php`.
Very long load times when posting replies if topic has many subscribers
Create a mail queue on `wp_cron` to avoid long loads when a new reply is posted to a topic with many subscribers.
Auto refreshing new replies
AJAX all of the things!
(No ticket yet.)
- John James Jacoby, jjj
- bbPress Lead Developer. Interested in projects around BuddyPress and bbPress.
- Jennifer M. Dodd, jmdodd
- bbPress Core Contributor. Interested in improving moderator experience and capabilities and adding popular user-requested functionality.
- Daniel Dvorkin, MZAWeb
- bbPress Contributor. Interested mostly in performance, AJAXifing all the things and security, but always open to fun challenges.