Releasing bbPress to the world is a big deal, and takes quite a few manual steps to ensure safe and comfortable updates and upgrades are had by all. Below are the steps the core team goes through with each and every new release.
- Write release version page on codex (i.e. https://codex.bbpress.org/releases/version-2-5-5/)
- Add new version page to codex Releases page (https://codex.bbpress.org/releases/)
- Bump version in bbpress.php (plugin header)
- Bump version in src/bbpress.php (plugin header + $this->version (setup_globals()))
- Bump the database version in src/bbpress.php ($this->version (setup_globals()))
- Bump version in dev trunk/src readme.txt
- Bump stable-tag in dev trunk/src readme.txt
- Add new Upgrade Notice for this version in readme.txt
- Commit bumps to dev svn repository
- If this is a major x.y release, create dev branch from trunk
- Export dev branch to deploy branch
- Create deploy tag from dev branch
- Update readme.txt in wp.org trunk, including stable tag. The release is now live.
Now that you’ve tagged a new bbPress release, it’s time to tell the world about it!
- Write a blog post on bbpress.org
- Update version number in the Downloads page on the bbpress.org.
- Write a blog post on bbpdevel.wordpress.com
- Forum announcement in bbpress.org/forums
- Bump dev trunk to alpha in bbpress.php (2.1-alpha)
- Bump newly created dev branch in bbpress.php (2.0.1-alpha)
- Sync deploy trunk and dev trunk
GlotPress Translation Strings
- bbPress’ translations are handled by GlotPress
- Development strings are here https://translate.wordpress.org/projects/wp-plugins/bbpress
- The source of the
Regular updates by running
grunt releaseand pushing to https://plugins.svn.wordpress.org/browser/bbpress/trunk/ will make #Polyglots translators happy
This also allows for relatively easy “string freezes” as new releases near
- Note: The above two lines do not affect bbPress whilst the
bbpress.potremains in the