bbPress works well with many themes and plugins, but it is impossible to test all combinations of them, and many common issues are caused by conflicts with plugins and themes.
The most common solution to some issues is to go through these basic troubleshooting steps.
Just know that if you are using a paid theme or plugin, please contact the authors for resolution as they might know how to fix it.
These are common issues that you need to check out.
- Blank Pages
- Navigation Links Return 404s Errors
- bbp_setup_current_user was called incorrectly
- Search Redirects to Front Page
Sometimes plugins could be conflicting with bbPress and cause an issue for your site. Follow this easy procedure to find a plugin issue.
- Go to Plugins > Installed Plugins
- Now bulk-select all plugins except bbPress , in the drop-down list pick Deactivate and hit Apply, then see if this resolves your issue.
If this resolves your issue, re-enable your plugins by clicking Activate on them one at a time to see which one is causing your issue to happen.
If you have found that the issue is being generated from of the plugins that you have currently installed, then please contact the plugin author of the particular plugin that is causing the issue. See if they know any fixes or if they have found an error within bbPress so that bbPress could apply a patch in the near future. You can also install an alternative to the plugin that is causing the issue or just remove it and that’s it.
If you cannot deactivate plugins . because you cannot reach the screen to deactivate them, then you can deactivate your plugins with FTP.or phpMyAdmin. Here is a WordPress codex guide to help you do so , How to deactivate plugins with FTP and phpMyAdmin
If plugins don’t pinpoint the issue, as a test switch to a WordPress default theme such as Twenty Twelve, and see if this resolves your issue. The reason we recommend Twenty Twelve is because it works flawlessly with the bbPress plugin.
- Go to Appearance > Themes
- If you already have Twenty Twelve installed, hit the Activate button near the themes screenshot photo. If you have not installed Twenty Twelve, do so now. Click the Add New button at the top of the themes section of your site. Now search Twenty Twelve in the themes Search search bar. After searching , it should be the first option if you spelled it correct. From there , click the Install button , then after installation click Activate to make Twenty Twelve your currently active theme then see if this resolves your issue.
If you have found that the issue is being generated from of the themes that you have currently installed, then please contact the theme author of the particular theme that is causing the issue. See if they know any fixes or if they have found an error within bbPress so that bbPress could apply a patch in the near future. You can also install and use an entirely different theme for your site too.
If this does not resolve your issue and you have also gone through the troubleshooting steps for plugin conflicts , then please try these below additional solutions.
The following will do no harm, so are worth a try and can fix some issues.
- Go to Settings > Permalinks, select the default permalinks then save. Now select your preferred permalinks structure. This flushes the rewrite rules and can solve some possible 404 errors.
- Going to Tools > Forums > Repair Forums and run each repair job one at a time. Most of the repair jobs will just recalculate post relationships, post counts, and remove any trashed posts that will be located in a users subscriptions and favorites in their user profile. Running these are fine to run every now and then.
Please be aware that running Remap existing users to default forum roles could remove any users with an Administrator assigned forum user role (ex. Moderator, Blocked, Spectator, Keymasters that aren’t a site Admin ) and is not an Administrator themselves, back to the default forum role set in Settings > Forums > Auto Role. Any site Administrators will be automatically granted the Keymaster forum role.
If you did run this repair job and lost your Administrator assigned forum role for your users, to fix it all you have to do is reassign them manually by editing each of the users profile or bbPress forum profile from the frontend or backend of your site.
- Flushing any cache you might have, and make sure that your caching plugin is configured correctly.
- Check for any error logs in your server.
- As a last resort reinstall a fresh copy of bbPress.
These are recommended options to diagnose issues on your site , if you are experienced in coding , and understand what to look for when these options eject out their information.
You can activate WP_DEBUG to get very useful debugging information about any issue on your site by going into your wp-config file and setting the WP_DEBUG value to true. Be sure that this is only for non-production sits as your users will be able to see the debug information also.
define( 'WP_DEBUG', true );
After doing this, go to where the issue is present and you should see if any details of what is causing your issue are present. When finished, be sure to disable this WP_DEBUG by setting the value to false.
- Common WordPress Errors
- Frequently Asked Troubleshooting Questions
- Debugging in WordPress
- I Make Changes and Nothing Happens
If you have need any additional help, please create a topic in the support forums.
If you have resolved your own issue please tell us in the support forums so that you can help other users that might be going through the same issue.